Re: Proposal: make kernel install easier

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 09:02:43PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> I believe lilo and grub already have that.

I am not sure lilo has it, but for grub see

/usr/share/doc/grub/README.Debian.gz

Initially update-grub might seem a bit weird, it extracts comments
from the menu.lst file in order to generate the menu.lst file for
instance, but I rather like it, and have been using it on all my
systems.

It means you get a list of all kernels installed at boot up, not just
the last two, like with the default lilo configuration.

There is also no problems with the kernel symlinks and initrd
symlinks pointing to incompatable files.

(actually this is far more important with lilo then for grub, at because
grub can be told at bootup time to load any file anyway...)

I filed a wishlist bug report sometime ago asking that lilo be given
a similar feature.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>