Locales in display managers (Was: Re: Locales in init scripts (about gdm bug #147091))

Ok, but /etc/default/language is not created by the locales package
which does currently asks the system's default language, but saves it in
/etc/environment instead.

The question is:
Is it ok to a display manager source /etc/environment (at least until
another definition is made) into the init script?

Because that's the only way (except if init itself set the LANG
variable, or the locales package generate /etc/default/language) to get
the x login prompt using the system's default locale?

P.S.: This is an annoying bug that can be closed with a 1-line patch,
but it isn't because of this indefinition (See maintainer comments into
the bug history).

--daniel