Re: Binaryless uploads [Was: FTBFS: architecture all packages]

Hi.

Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
> I'm well aware of the concept.  However here's the deal:  Webmin has a
> whole bunch of modules that depend on a wide range of other Debian
> packages.  So having one binary package would result in a huge list of
> dependencies and webmin would take forever to end up in testing and
> people would have to install all kind of crap they don't need.  Thus the
> first thing I did (actually it was a patch from Phil Hands iirc) was to
> make each module into a seperate binary package.
> I hope I've given you some insight into why it is.

What I don't understand is the following: Webmin doesn't seem to have
very specific (i.e. versioned) dependencies. How does a new version of
e.g. proftpd not enter testing bar webmin-proftp (or a big all-in-one)
webmin source package from progressing? Webmin does not seem to have
many dependencies that are hard to satisfy in testing (or stable, for
that matter), so I should expect it to progress rather fast.

Cheers

T.