Re: python 2.2 -> python 2.3 transition

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 08:33:26AM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> Now, I could do the dependency on python (>= 2.2), python (<<2.3) thing.
> But what would that gain me or users?  I see no benefit there, other than
> people tracking sid would find OfflineIMAP uninstallable until it gets
> updated to depend on Python 2.3.
>
> There are plenty of OfflineIMAP users that don't use Python themselves,
> don't care that it's written in Python -- and probably some that don't
> *know* it's written in Python.
>
> (And yes, the bang path explicitly calls python2.2)

The dependency on python (>= 2.2), python (<< 2.3) is for the case where
you have a module which loads into python and supports only a single
python version.

After python changed you can't install that package (wxgtk-python or
whatever) anymore. The positive effect for the users is that you can't
upgrade python while wxgtk-python is installed so your system won't
break.

apt will only upgrade python after a new wxgtk-python is available.
That's the benefit of this dependency scheme.

Greetings

	Torsten