Re: show-bugs script: show release-critical bugs on installed packages

I demand that Matt Zimmerman may or may not have written...

> On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 08:25:08PM +0100, Darren Salt wrote:
>> Hmm, w3m... I prefer lynx and, as such, w3m is not installed. So perhaps
>> it should use lynx or www-browser.

> So change it; it should be very straightforward.  You could also try my
> script which outputs an HTML document and leaves the browser to you.

>> Which brings up something else: the default here for www-browser is
>> mozilla-firebird. I noticed this recently when apt-listchanges wouldn't
>> display the changelogs. :-|

>> Do any other graphical browsers abuse www-browser in this way, and what
>> severity should bug reports concerning this have? (I suspect "important",
>> since it can be worked around with update-alternatives --config.)

> I don't think they're abusing www-browser, and I don't think that any bugs
> should be filed at all, at least not yet.  Let's save the question of
> severity for when we've at least described the problem.

> According to the virtual packages list in the debian-policy package,
> www-browser is "something that can browse HTML files".  mozilla-firebird,
> w3m and lynx are all perfectly valid providers of this alternative.

There's a policy proposal concerning $BROWSER, www-browser and x-www-browser
at <URL:http://bugs.debian.org/172436>. I was going to quote part of this and
describe a little more of the problem, but:

  <URL:http://bugs.debian.org/201035>
     mozilla-firebird: shouldn't register as www-browser
     (fixed in 0.6.1-1)

It looks like an upgrade to this version (or 0.6.1-2) will fix this problem.
And I have something else to check - 0.6-8 doesn't deregister its alternative
for /usr/bin/mozilla...

> If it is necessary to force a text-mode browser, there should either be a
> separate alternative, or something more sophisticated like mailcap should
> be used.

Current practice says that there is a separate alternative. Policy just needs
to catch up :-)

--
| Darren Salt   | nr. Ashington, | linux (or ds) at
| woody, sarge, | Northumberland | youmustbejoking
| RISC OS       | Toon Army      | demon co uk
|   Retrocomputing: a PC card in a Risc PC

It is later than you think.