how to manage symbolic links ?

Hello

I'm new to debian package development.

The first software I try to debianize needs to be placed in
/usr/share/appname and then to link the binary to /usr/bin which makes
something like this :

ln -s /usr/share/appname/appname /sur/bin/appname

The problem I've got is that $(DESTDIR) is not replaced in the final
link.

For instance, my Makefile.am looks like :
$(LN_S) -f $(DESTDIR)${coredir}/appname $(DESTDIR)$(bindir)/appname;

and the link appname-x/debian/tmp/usr/bin/appname points to
/home/me/debian_devel/appname-x/debian/tmp/usr/share/appname/appname

How can I manage to have a symbolic link installed with a good path ?

If I remove $(DESTDIR) in Makefile.am and Makefile.in, the link is no
more installed...

Any help would be really welcome

Thanks.

Alexis.