Re: How to install X-Chat in five hours (or more)

Gustavo Noronha Silva dijo [Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 09:26:20PM -0300]:
> > Note that there is at least one project which is looking at doing exactly
> > that while retaining backwards compatability (GoboLinux). It may be worth,
> > on the long term, looking at how it may be possible to migrate from
> > obscure paths like "/opt", "/bin", "/sbin", "/usr/bin", etc, to more
> > sensible names, in that way.
>
> They had a presentation on the IV Free Software International Forum in
> Porto Alegre (Brazil) this year and I can assure you I didn't hear a
> lot of good things about this (I didn't actually attend to the thing,
> but other DD's did).
> (...)
> I don't really care about /. I think path abstraction should be achieved
> by graphical file management utilities like Nautilus, not by messing
> with something that's actually working, to then cause more problems.

I completely agree with you... I was arguing with a friend of mine, a
Ximian developer. He insisted me that they were bringing Unix to the
desktop of people, just like what Apple did. I insst that is *not* what
they are doing. Even though under every Ximian and MacOS X system there
is a Unix box, the user only uses a strange abstraction that -maybe
without the user's knowledge- uses Unix itself.

Debian is a Unix system (ok, Unix-like for purism). It should stay a
Unix system. We already have a very important user base, we are obliged
not to give them such a headache.

Besides, I really doubt that even one tenth of the Debian developers
would be happy to switch ;-)

Greetings,

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@gwolf.cx - (+52-55)5630-9700 ext. 1366