Re: proposal: per-user temporary directories on by default?

Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@hardware.no> writes:
> ATM, TMPDIR is defined using #define in libpam-tmpdir's source.
> Patches for having that as a run-time configuration are accepted.

I recently posted to debian-devel a patch to do this (not sure
whether you saw it or not).  However, at the time, I didn't realise
that /sbin/pam-tmpdir-helper was a setuid root program.  Purely my
fault; I didn't check.  Anyway, that patch opens up a security hole[1],
so please don't apply it.

Thanks,
Kevin

[1] My solution as to how to get the path from libpam-tmpdir to
pam-tmpdir-helper was to pass it on the command line.  But, since
anyone can run pam-tmpdir-helper, anyone can create any tmpdir they
like anywhere on the system.  Very bad.