Re: should bugs really be closed?

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:

> As gcc changelog.Debian states, bugs filed against earlier versions of gcc
> (e.g. gcc-3.2 or gcc-2.95) are closed when they are fixed in later version
> (e.g. gcc 3.3).
>
> Is that really correct?
> gcc-3.2 package is still in Debian and still contains those bugs. So IMHO
> bugs should be still opened against it, unless a fix is backported.

These bugs won't be fixed in gcc-3.2.  gcc-3.3 is a newer upstream version.
Just because it's made as a separate package doesn't mean a newer upstream
hasn't been uploaded(3.3).

If we follow your advice, then all packages would need to have separate
per-(major-)version instances, so that bugs on older versions could be fixed.