Re: [custom] Some issues for custom debian distributions

Re: Re: [custom] Some issues for custom debian distributions [Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>, Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 11:10:40PM -0600, <[🔎] 20030728051040.GD30421@misery.proulx.com>]
> > 	# check whether we run interactively
> > 	[ "$PS1" ] || return
> >
> > (Something like that exists in Debian's /etc/skel/.bash_profile.)
>
> Uh, no.  You are thinking of /etc/skel/.bashrc which does that.  The
> profile sources the bashrc unconditionally.

Sorry - I screwed up the file names. FYI, the "source" is commented out
in /etc/skel/.bash_profile:

	#if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
	#    source ~/.bashrc
	#fi

(Maybe that should be changed - it would be a resonable default for
users that don't want to edit/don't know how to edit .bash_profile.)

> Bash already automatically loads up the bashrc file if it is not a
> login shell.  Loading bashrc is not the problem.  It is loading up
> functionality which traditionally exists in the profile which is the
> problem.

Only for interactive shells, quoting bash(1):
       When an interactive shell that is not a login shell is started,
       bash reads and executes  commands from ~/.bashrc, if that file
       exists.  This may be inhibited by using the --norc option. The
       --rcfile file option will force bash to read and execute commands
       from  file  instead  of ~/.bashrc.

Nevertheless, the above test for $PS1 is still useful if you source
.bashrc in .xsession etc where you want variables, but no completion
etc.

Christoph
--
Christoph Berg <cb@df7cb.de>, http://www.df7cb.de
Wohnheim D, 2405, Universität des Saarlandes, 0681/9657944