Re: NMU version number and native packages

On Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 10:13:09PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:

> The 'standard process' that I know of is this:
>
> > * On other side some people on #d-d says that the standard way is to add
> >   .1 to the number.
> >

> Thus, a package with a version number '1.5' will be versioned
> '1.5.1'
>
> Then, an exception follows that if the previous upload was a NMU,
> in which case the last number is increased. (i.e. after 1.5.1,
> 1.5.2 is used).
>
> In that respect, developers-reference's statement of
> 'Adding 0.1' is not quite precisely documenting the current practice.
>
> Binary-only NMUs add a '0.1', which result in 1.5.0.1.
> Binary-only NMU after a NMU will result in 1.5.1.1.

Developer's Reference says you have to give to the NMU of version 1.5
the version 1.5-0.1 .

Giving the NMU the version 1.5.1 hijacks a valid non-NMU version number.
It might even happen that someone uploads a NMU 1.5.1 to delayed and the
original author one hour later uploads a version 1.5.0.0.0.1 - the NMU
will replace the maintainer upload!

Any NMU version that is not lower than the lowest possible next
maintainer upload version number is simply broken.

The NMU versioning scheme in the Developer's Reference might sound
strange, but it's needed for exactly this reason.

> regards,
> 	junichi

cu
Adrian