Re: [custom] Some issues for custom debian distributions

Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:
> E.g. in a "distribution" (better to say - custom installation CD) I maintain
> here I expect users to use kppp to connect to their ISPs. To make this work
> by default, I have to comment out whole contents of /etc/ppp/options during
> the last stage of the installation. I don't think that pppd maintainer will
> agree that such thing should be provided by debconf.
>
> Another thing is replacing "#!/bin/sh" by "#!/bin/bash --login" in
> /etc/kde3/kdm/Xsession (and other dm's Xsession files). This is the only
> way I know to make login shell startup files evaluated during X logins.
> This issue is known for ages, but it seems that people who make decisions
> don't thing it is necessary. So this isn't likely to be fixed with debconf
> questions.

This is the kind of thing that dropping a script in /usr/lib/base-config
can help you with.

> The thing I really don't like in debian-cd is the requirement to have a
> local mirror. I prefer to use apt-get (+apt-proxy) to fetch packages while
> building CD. I have a (currently ugly) script to do so; if anyone is
> interested I can (try to) clean it up and make it available.

I would much rather see debian-cd work that way.

> Seems that feeding correct value to debconf for "locales" package fixes
> this. At least for me.
>
> Currently I install "locales" and "console-cyrrillic" (with all
> dependencies) very early - I modified debootstrap to do so. Default values
> to debconf database also are written by modified debootstrap. So I have
> russian properly set up already when base-config runs.

base-config 1.41 and above modify /etc/locale.gen and run locale-gen to
set up the installation locale before it goes interactive. If this
doesn't work I would appreciate bug reports and patches in this area.

--
see shy jo