Re: Why back-porting patches to stable instead of releasing a new package.

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 01:44:39PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Jul 25, Jesus Climent <jesus.climent@hispalinux.es> wrote:
>
>  >Bind9, as provided in woody, keeps on falling to its knees for unknown
>  >reasons. A strace might help, but so far i have not been able to either keep
> BIND 9 in woody is old and buggy, that's all. Ask upstream about this
> version and they will tell you to upgrade.

Which probes what I was trying to say:

By taking so long from release to release (NO ofense to anyone) we provide old
and buggy software (in some cases) which only gets security fixes, but then
the fame of Debian being rock solid might not be true in all its senses.

The proposal of releasing more often (with or without the proposal of
splitting base+the_rest) gets stronger on my mind.

d-i guys, keep the great work!

data

--
Jesus Climent | Unix SysAdm | Helsinki, Finland | pumuki.hispalinux.es
GPG: 1024D/86946D69 BB64 2339 1CAA 7064 E429  7E18 66FC 1D7F 8694 6D69

There's nothing that can't be done.
		--McManus (The usual suspects)