Re: DO NOT UPGRADE UNSTABLE: Terminal text stops functioning

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 06:45:26PM +1200, Adam Warner wrote:
> Hi Geordie Birch,
>
> > On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 06:14:01PM +1200, Adam Warner wrote:
> >> I wrote:
> >>
> >> I have confirmed that downgrading to initscripts_2.85-4.1_all.deb
> >> sysv-rc_2.85-4.1_all.deb and sysvinit_2.85-4.1_i386.deb will resolve the
> >> lack of terminal output.
> >
> > FWIW, I have version 2.85-5 of initscripts, sysvinit, and sysv-rc
> > installed and am not having any problems re. terminal output.
>
> Just to confirm, your system boots into a terminal by default, you
> rebooted your computer and all text was displayed at the terminal
> including the login prompt?

Yes, this machine boots fine into the console.

> How about if you boot into single-user mode? (you should be able to do
> this by entering "linux single" (without the quotation marks) at the lilo
> prompt).

When I boot into single-user mode I get the same results as you, ie. no
output to the screen after the "Setting up X sockets" message.  I can
blindly log in as root at this point also.  If I hit ctrl-d instead of
the password, booting continues normally, ie. with regular terminal
output.

Geordie.