Re: default MTA for sarge

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 19:43:01 -0700
David Nusinow <dnusinow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I wouldn't say the splitting was a bad idea, but I think it makes it
> initially hard on the user, while possibly making it easier on them as
> they become more advanced. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if many
> users do like David Harris and take the autogenerated /var/lib config
> file, move it to /etc/exim4/exim4.conf, and promptly ignore conf.d
> forever. I was definitely tempted to do this myself, but decided to try
> and work with the package as it was put together.

    After installing sa-exim I found out how nice the split is.  Sure if one
is unaccustomed to two simple things (reading and grepping) as well as one
moderately advanced thing (find -exec grep) it can be a bear.  Honestly though
anyone familiar with using those things...

IE "Hmmm, I want to control access that might just be in ACL!"
cd acl
grep -i random_term *
"Hmmmm, not there..."
cd ..
find . -exec grep -i \{\} \; -print
"Ah, there it is in main!"

...there really is no difference between a flat file and the conf.d.

    Where the major difference is is when you install something to slot into
Exim and that conf-file.  Exhibit A:
ii  sa-exim        3.0-1          Use Spam-Assassin at SMTP time with the Exim
{grey@teleute:~} dpkg -L sa-exim | grep etc
/etc
/etc/exim4
/etc/exim4/conf.d
/etc/exim4/conf.d/main
/etc/exim4/conf.d/main/15_sa-exim_plugin_path
/etc/exim4/spamassassin.conf

    I didn't have to paw through the configuration file looking for something
that might have been added (and screwed up in adding it).  I didn't even have
to figure out the right location to add it.  The package was able to drop the
file in the right location to be parsed in the proper order without knowing
*anything* about my configuration.  Here's the total effort on my part to find
where the configuration was.  Pick a method:
dpkg -L sa-exim | grep etc
or
cd /etc/exim4/conf.d | find \*sa-exim\*
or
cd /etc/exim4/conf.d | ls -lR */*exim-sa*

    Is it as easy as firing up $EDITOR and searching?  Yes.  Might be a few
more keystrokes but the concept and execution are the same.  "Search here."