Re: but I want the GNU versions of packages

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 02:46:17PM -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> Package: mawk

> Package: gawk

> I know for sure that in this instance gawk indcludes all of the features
> mawk does and many more.

> Maybe the reason is the pachage size?

> Package: mawk
> Installed-Size: 220

> Package: gawk
> Installed-Size: 1808

> That might be it.

> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         216K Jun  5 16:47 /usr/bin/gawk
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          85K May 30 07:27 /usr/bin/mawk

> If you split up the gawk package into gawk-doc and gawk-locales then the
> gawk package would probably only be 100k larger than mawk.

> I went to a UUG (Unix User Group), that had a presentation on awk, and many
> different implementations of awk were mentioned, but gawk was the big daddy
> that supported any feature imaginable in awk.

> So, now the question.  Why isn't gawk in the base install?

Because an overabundance of features is not a primary consideration for
a base install?

Only 23 packages in the archive declare a relationship with gawk by
name.  I'd say the current defaults are working pretty well for most awk
users if that's the case.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer