Re: default MTA for sarge

On Mon, 2003-07-14 at 02:34, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 05:06:40PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > postfix config is extremely simple & easy, and the configuration is definitely
> > human readable.  it's all plain text and fairly close to natural language.
>
> Bwahahaha!  Defining transports and whatnot is an exercise in frustration,
> and there are definite issues with where you can hook things into (where the
> hell do you attach postfix when you want the server to run spamc?)

Which the kind of users we're talking about in this thread (the ones who
don't even know what an MTA is) won't have to do at all.

Really, the questions here shouldn't be this kind. They should be:

1. Can the mailer be set up, by default, with no questions, for sane,
safe, *local only* delivery?

2. Can the mailer can provide a /usr/bin/sendmail that *only* requires
an outgoing SMTP server, for mutt/reportbug/etc? But in no way should
this overshadow 1.

If both Exim and Postfix meet 1 (they both can), then the issue comes
down to hard drive space and memory consumption, IMO, or fulfillment of
2), and I can't comment on that.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org>