Re: Work-needing packages report for Jul 11, 2003

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 08:32:01AM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:

 > Huh? Submit a bug report against ftp.debian.org, and ask that the
 > package be removed. What's so hard about it?

 I wish it would be that easy.  I haven't read the thread, but I'm
 willing to bet someone has already declared me a heretic for ignoring
 our users' interests when I hinted that some packages should be removed
 from the archive.  That was the case a couple of years back at least.
 I beleive the most vocal defender of that position was Adrian.  Perhaps
 things have changed now.

 > I suppose there might be an issue the original maintainer is MIA, but
 > if a package has been on the "orphaned" list for >6 months, then that
 > should be sufficient to get the package pulled and the WNPP bug
 > closed.

 I argued for that about two years ago and eventually got tired of the
 argument I paraphrased above so I gave up.

 > Or perhaps we should just decree that no unmaitained packages go out
 > in a stable release.

 I actually argued for that, too.  The release manager disagreed -- or
 better worded, he saw no major problem as long as the package didn't
 have any RC bugs (and I apologize in advance to Anthony if I'm putting
 words in his mouth, but that's my recollection and I don't feel like
 diving in the archive right now).

 > At the beginning of the freeze, mark all the WNPP packages for
 > removal (along with their dependencies :-)), and then see if we can
 > inspire some reaction.

 LOL

 That's actually an idea...

 Marcelo