Re: A success story with apt and rsync

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 01:01:34AM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:

> > I believe htree == dir_index, so tune2fs(8) and mke2fs(8) have the answer.
>
> My /home has that enabled and readdir() returns files in creation order.

Then you don't have a htree-capable kernel or the directory isn't
indexed.  Directories that fit in a block are not indexed, as are
directories larger than a block that were created before directory
indexing was enabled, or if they were modified by a non-htree capable
kernel.

You can use the lsattr command to see if the indexed (I) flag is set
on a particular directory:

% lsattr -d /home/tytso
--------------I-- /home/tytso

						- Ted