Re: Debconf or not debconf : Conclusion

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 04:17:50PM +0200, Julien LEMOINE wrote:
> 	First of all, I present my excuses for having started a new debate
> about debconf in debian-devel.

> 	Secondly, to reply to every person who thinks I should have created a
> more "user friendly" migration who did not break backwards compatibility.
> My answer is that I have no time to implement command line support for
> stunnel 4.x.

It is not your responsibility to fix all of upstream's bugs, but it *is*
your responsibility to protect Debian users from upstream breakage as
much as possible.  This upstream change makes no sense from a usability
standpoint; this new stunnel package would be pretty useless to me, and
I wouldn't want to have it automatically installed on my systems if I
were using the previous, working version.  By the time a debconf note is
sent, it's too late.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer