Re: Upstream requires forked Date::Manip

On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 03:50:29PM -0500, Kenneth Pronovici wrote:
> The upstream maintainer of XMLTV, which I package for Debian, has
> temporarily forked the Perl Date::Manip module.  He says:
>
>    Over the past six months or so I've accumulated various bug fixes to
>    the Date::Manip module, most of them because of xmltv bug reports
>    sent by users.  Rather than wait any longer for the upstream
>    Date::Manip to incorporate the fixes I have made my own release
>    (intended as a temporary measure, not a permanent fork)... I've
>    updated xmltv to require this version of the module (since it does
>    fix several fairly important problems).
>
> I'm not entirely sure what to do with this.
>
> One option would be to roll these forked bug fixes into the offical
> Debian libdate-manip-perl package.  There are no interface changes, so
> this really shouldn't cause problems for anyone (in theory, anyway).  I
> have written the Debian libdate-manip-perl maintainer a few times in the
> last few weeks about this, but I haven't heard anything back from him.
>
> Another option would be for me to create a temporary
> libdate-manip-perl-fork package (or something) to temporarily provide
> the forked code, which wouldn't affect users who don't install the XMLTV
> packages.  This would be OK, but I don't like the idea of adding
> temporary packages to the archive.
>
> As a final option, I could just take out Makefile.PL's checks on version
> and build the Debian XMLTV packages against the version of Date::Manip
> currently in Debian.  This bothers me because it would leave us open to
> Debian-only bugs for which there's an obvious fix that Debian doesn't
> support.
>
> Does anyone have any opinions on the best way to deal with this?

i dont know anything about perl, but might it be possible to add the
forked module to the xmltv package, in some way that doesnt conflict
with the libdate-manip-perl that exists in debian?

this would allow the fixed version to be used, without adding a
temporary package.

--
gram