Re: Packages: an average 66321 bytes per line of description

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 09:10:09PM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 07:56:42AM +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> > Fellas, looking in the Packages files, some big packages have little
> > descriptions, some little packages have big descriptions,
>
> and this package description went wee wee wee, all the way home.
>
> Why does this belong on debian-devel instead of debian-curiosa?

because some packages have really crappy & useless descriptions.

the worst culprits are usually sets of binary packages from the one source file
which have package descriptions like libfoo-dev = "dev files for libfoo",
libfoo-doc = "documention for libfoo", and libfoo = "runtime files for foo
library", without bothering to describe what "foo" actually is.

well, duh! like nobody would ever guess that a package called libfoo-doc was
the documentation for libfoo.  tell the reader something we DON'T know.

a package description is supposed to tell someone who has never heard of "foo"
before a little bit about it, not just multiple variations of foo's name.

craig