Re: Proposal: removing libc5, altgcc and all their old-days dependencies

On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 04:58:09PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Marco d'Itri (md@Linux.IT) [030622 16:35]:
> > On Jun 22, Herbert Xu <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au> wrote:
> >  >There is no technical reason why we can't support libc5 anymore.  The only
> >  >reason that this is being discussed is that nobody has stood up to maintain
> >  >the package.
>
> > This looks like a good enough reason to me.
>
> Sorry, but I can find no RFA/O-entry for this package. That should be
> done first before kicking it off.

That's not a rule. Maintainers are allowed to say that their package
should be removed if they believe that it's no longer useful; they're
usually much more qualified to say that than, say, the QA group are.
It's not as if it's impossible for somebody else to reintroduce the
package if they really care.

> And I don't remember to read anything from the current maintainer
> either.

Obviously you haven't looked too closely at who started this thread
then?