Re: how to package Haskell libraries

On Sunday 22 June 2003 19:45, Isaac Jones wrote:
> There has been a lot of discussion recently on the Haskell mailing
> lists about the best ways to package Haskell libraries and tools for
> Debian.  The main issues are:
>
> 1) there are a variety of "compiler" implementations, one of which is
> an interpreter :)
>
> 2) not all Haskell implementations are available on all architectures
> (ghc for instance)
>
> 3) just about every Haskell "compiler" and release is
> binary-incompatible, (except maybe for nhc98).

You might be able to apply the same techniques applied to C++ libs which
suffer the same ABI-incompatibility. Currently, the workaround is to postfix
the libs with a string-tag for the compiler-ABI.

Hmmm, I just wonder: is it true that there is no solution for supporting
different ABIs but rather just a transition-plan ?

An imho real fix (afaik) encompasses an extension to the ELF-format/dynamic
linker and is not due in the near future.

Uli