Re: not modified modifications

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 04:59:00PM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 12:36:49AM +0200, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
>
> > i am very sure, I did never have touched this file, so why is dpkg always
> > asking me if i want to overwrite it? IS this a dpkg problem, is it a
> > packaging problem, or is is a script which is modifying those files?
>
> I believe this happens when a conffile moves from one package to another, is
> renamed, or a configuration file switches to being a conffile when it was
> previously not.

It can also happen in the perverse case where a package has a file
marked as a conffile for a while, is then upgraded to a version that
doesn't ship the file at all, then later starts to have the conffile
again and is upgraded.

In other words, obsolete conffiles, even unmodified ones, are not purged
on upgrade.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     One doesn't have a sense of humor.
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     It has you.