Re: Proposal: removing libc5, altgcc and all their old-days dependencies

That's constantly in my header... so I'm ready to fight :-P

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 10:29:01PM +1200, Philip Charles wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 10:56:32AM +1200, Philip Charles wrote:
> > > xpm4.7 is needed for WordPerfect 8.  I have a mass of wp5.1 and wp8
> > > documents.
> > >

> > That's exactly one of the old-days craps around I was pointing.
> > Wordperfect 11 is now a windoze-only program.
> >
> > Also Applixware 5 (another dead product) will have problems.
> >

> I will not be the only person in this situation.  I have work I have done
> in WP5.1 that goes back over ten years.
>
> We have a lawyer here who is a GNU/linux geek who still has to use MS Word
> because openoffice.org cannot handle the complex formatting of his legacy
> Word documents.
>
> What I am saying is the problem is not dead products, but legacy documents
> created by these products.  Because of volume of such material it is often
> not practical for someone to sit down and spend days/weeks converting them
> all.  In my case it would be possible, but for others it would not.

Mmmmm, that's the basis of freelosophy. Don't use proprietary formats and don't
use proprietary software. The risk of being unable to use your own
documents is concrete. Who owns your docs? Corel does. Microsoft does.
You no more own your docs when you agree with any commercial EULA
and use a commercial product. You could be unable to use _current_ M$ doc
within a few years or less.

Also, none can ensure that whenever Sarge will
be released, it will be wp-compliant at alli (also with libc5). WP for Linux is in
End-of-support and End-of-life status. And surely Debian DOES NOT support
non-free (in DFSG sense) software, and that's also more true for commercial
one. If you need an ancient format/program like WP, use an
ancient Debian release.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine