Re: rsync in apt sources.list?

It seems the simplest solution is to just use
http://home.tiscali.cz:8080/~cz210552/aptrsync.html
But why does he do at the bottom

# Get anything we missed due to failed rsync's.  tim@fungible.com 24 Mar 2002.
os.system('apt-get update')
# Used to have a call to apt-cache gencaches here, but I think that's
# redundant with the apt-get update above. tim@fungible.com 24 Mar 2002.

Doing apt-get update just seems to start downloading the Packages.gz
even though we just rsynced Packages.  Is apt supposed to detect
Packages are rater fresh and not download? It just downloaded over
again for me.

And of course commenting out apt-get update means that if some of the
servers in sources.list don't run rsync, then they won't be hit.