Re: Packages preventing other packages from going into testing

On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 06:44:12PM +0200, Jacob Hallén wrote:
> Essentially, it is a count of packages that directly and indirectly depend on
> a package with at least one RC bug before they can go into testing.

> My idea is to show where the low hanging fruits are, so that people able to
> lend a hand know where to go.

While this is very nifty, unfortunatly just counting RC bugs doesn't
track where real effort is needed.

Take kdelibs as an example. When the RC bugs for kdelibs are fixed,
kdelibs still can't goto testing, because all other kde applications
have to be RC free and compile on all supported platforms. And since
kdebase is creating internal compile errors from gcc-3.3 on
mips/mipsel[1], there is not much sense raping buildd machines with
builds that are bound to fail on some archs. And alas, there is not
much one can do to fix gcc ICE bugs without knowledge of gcc internals.

[1] 'http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=194330'
--
Riku Voipio  	       |    riku.voipio@iki.fi         |
kirkkonummentie 33     |    +358 40 8476974          --+--