Re: RFC: fewer vim variants

In article <20030614201004$04c1@gated-at.bofh.it>, Luca Filipozzi wrote:
> Hello people,
>
> I propose to restructure the vim package so that it builds fewer vim
> variants.
>
> I propose to have only the following:
>   vim  (aka vim-tiny; no interpreters, no docs)
>   kvim (including all non-threaded interpreters; kde support; no docs)
>   gvim (including all non-threaded interpreters; gtk2 support; no docs)
>   vim-doc
>
> Let me know if this rubs you the wrong way.

I think it's a good idea to merge the interpreters support. But
concerning the gnome support I think it would be better to have a
seperate package with gnome support as I did in the vim 6.2 patch (e.g., gvim-gnome ?)

If I'm not mistaken, the vim gnome support adds mostly session
management (when you login all your vim windows you had open on the
previous logout appear in the same positions and the same files), which
is something really handy. But of course, to add a dependency on gnome
for the non-gnome users would be too much. Therefore two packages...

José Fonseca

PS: I tried to reply via the news gateway but it didn't fall through. Sorry
if there's a dup.