Re: Maintaining kernel source in sarge

On Tue, 27 May 2003 11:04:07 +0200, Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de> said:

> The order in which the patches are applied should in general not be
> significant. If it is, it should be stated in the patch
> description. I assumed that the 'Depends' tag is semantically more a
> 'Pre-Depends', right?

> In my example, if the isdnbonding patch has to be applied after
> ethernetpadding, it would have to say so in its description.
> patch-2.4.21-pre7 can contain the same patch and should consequently
> be applied at the same time (e.g. after binfmtmisc, but before
> isdnbonding).

>> That's only fine _if_ the replaced patches are similar enough so
>> that any patch in the debian set, that would depend on those, can
>> still apply atop the new one.  That is, if there are several
>> revisions of a given fix, we'll have to use versionned Provides:
>> and Depends:, or we're doomed.  Not that it's impossible, but I'm
>> not sure it's exactly trivial to implement...

> Yes, versioned patches are a problem that I did not think of. I
> assumed that one patch providing the functionality of another one is
> always a superset. It may be possible to require versioned patches
> to be made as a sequence of diffs between the versions.  Of course
> that creates new problems.

	I am thinking of implementing something like this in
 kernel-package. Ideally, I would like to support things like:

  a) Specify a range or a single kernel version that the patch applies  to
  b) Specify a patch version
  c) specify patches (with versions) that one depends on, these
     patches need be present, and shall be applied before the current
     patch

	User should be able to specify a list of patches that they
 want to apply; and have all the dependent patches pulled in, or warn
 that patches could not be applied (not-present; failed-depends); etc.

	The patches applied would be unapplied in reverse order on
 clean up.

	I am thinking of a generic run-parts replacement with
 versioned depends; so that this work be useful beyond
 kernel-package.

	manoj
--
I wish a robot would get elected president.  That way, when he came to
town, we could all take a shot at him and not feel too bad. Jack