Re: Debian conference in the US?

On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 11:59:32AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > and he will try to harm any other people is someone tell him that it
> > helps USA.  His approach is completely nationalistic. You cannot
> > understand him and agree with him until he drops this attitude or
> > until you adopt it.
>
> 	Considering I am an Indian, this is getting hilarious; the US
>  is merely my country of adoption.

Actually, I am given to understand that many immigrants are more
passionate nationalists about their adopted country than native-born
folks are of their default country.  This makes sense when once
considers that many immigrants to a country have to make some sort of
sacrifice to get there and stay there, which makes them more likely to
seek justifications for their decision.  It's human nature; people are
passionate about their choice of automobile or computer for similar
reasons -- they represent a relatively large outlay of capital (or a
relatively large assumption of debt), and people are loath to
second-guess their decisions under such circumstances, lest they be
characterized as "suckers".

Look at the example of Ayn Rand, for instance.

(Not saying you're a nationalist, Manoj.)

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      Please do not look directly into