Re: /etc/hostname

[Nikita V. Youshchenko]
> Should /etc/hostname contain only short hostname, or FQDN name?
> Is this documented anywhere?

I prefer the FQDN as hostname.  It make it easier to report the
correct name in scripts when administrating large installations.

Some unix-types do not handle FQDN as hostname, but luckily they are
few.

> But e.g. etherconf package puts FQDN name there ...

I'd say etherconf do the right thing there.  But etherconf is
dangerous for other reasons.  It might reconfigure your network when
upgrading, based on the content in the debconf database.