Re: Maintaining kernel source in sarge

Herbert wrote:
> * The kernel-source binary contains all bug fixes as is.  Guido raised
> a good point that if we separated the patches from the kernel-source, then
> users may miss out on the bug fixes.  This is especially important in light
> of the current speed of upstream releases.
>
> * The pristine kernel-source is available in the binary archive.  Many people
> have asked for this in the past and this makes it available in the form of
> a source tar ball plus a patch.

On the other hand, I would find it somewhat non-intuitive that the
pristine source would only be available as the result of the
application of a patch - and I tend to see that as an indication that
it'd be more logical the other way round, with a pristine tarball and
a real diff.

We could get around Guido's point mentionned above by having a list of
default patches to apply, which would by default contain the debian
patch.

Additionally, with things done this way, we're not even forced to
update the whole kernel-source-2.4.20 seven times or more, we just
have to update kernel-source-debian-2.4.20, which I believe would be
good for the health of our network pipes.

Regards,
--
Yann Dirson    <ydirson@altern.org> |    Why make M$-Bill richer & richer ?
Debian-related: <dirson@debian.org> |   Support Debian GNU/Linux: