Re: Very uneven distribution of packages per maintainer

On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 11:25:03PM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Sat, 24 May 2003 22:15, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > Because in Debian there is a few people with high "load" in debian,
> > and many with less "load".  People with high load are more likely to
> > burn out and disappear.  It is thus better to have more people with
> > less load.
> >
> > Of course, the packages per developer is not a perfect indicator of
> > "load", but it is an indicator.
>
> Sometimes you can have an easy source package that produces several other
> packages.  Sometimes you can have a difficult source package that only
> produces one package.
>
> Then there's the issue of upstream maintainers who are also Debian developers,
> being the active upstream developer can be enough work that developing any
> other Debian packages would take too much time.
>
> Even if you had a metric for measuring the amount of work a developer was
> doing, that wouldn't gain you anything.  We can't force people who have a
> small number of packages to take on more work, and we don't want to
> discourage them from contributing altogether.

Not to mention those that are paid to work on Debian (Hello HP :) and
those who have full time jobs that are irrelevant to anything they do
for Debian. Then we could get into single/married, kids, hobbies, etc.

Even that is little indicator. I know folks who's job has nothing to do
with Debian, but they do more work than people who are paid to work on
Debian. It's all about motivation, and no person is doing anything
wrong. It's a personal choice how much time and energy you devote to
Debian. As long as that number isn't zero, then you are welcome to stay.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/