Re: Accepted directory-administrator 1.3.5-1 (i386 source)

On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 11:28:34AM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> > And it generally causes confusion in bug submitters' mind: how many of
> > them knows the difference between a fixed and a closed bug?  A brief
> > note about NMU changes incorporation in changelog and closing those
> > bugs in BTS by hand is more correct IMO.
>
> I'd say we should rather ensure that bug submitters get a notification
> when a bug is fixed (i.e. by the time of the NMU), in case it's not
> handled like that already, than to duplicate information in the
> changelog.

I figure a patch could be provided for the right part of katie -- it already
knows NMUs (special case for not closing bugs), you just have to insert the
sending of mail with the right verbiage.

The latter, however, doesn't strike me as particularly obvious. What do you
tell the submitter? Do you recommend the upgrade, or just suggest it?
Do you mention it's a NMU, should they care? It's somewhat puzzling, as
there are NMUs of various qualities... Arguably, there are maintainer
uploads of various qualities, but given it's the official upload, the
"licence" to recommend it is implied, whereas with a NMU, it is not.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.