Re: Firebird 0.6

* Brian Nelson (pyro@debian.org) wrote:
> Eric Dorland <eric@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > From the amount of mail I've gotten I guess people will be
> > interested. I've uploaded mozilla-firebird_0.6-1 to my personal apt
> > repository at http://people.debian.org/~eric/debian/. Just add:
> >
> > deb http://people.debian.org/~eric/debian/$(ARCH) ./
> >
> > to your /etc/apt/sources.list and apt-get install
> > mozilla-firebird. Note that This package does NOT
> > Conflict/Provide/Replace my older phoenix package since they were
> > unofficial, and this package doesn't actually conflict with the
> > phoenix package (because of the name change). I'll probably upload
> > this to unstable after a few more tweaks, if there's no objections.
>
> Hi Eric,
>
> Have you considered building the mozilla-firebird package from the
> mozilla or (more likely) the mozilla-snapshot source package?  Given
> that the firebird build system requires just a small modification to the
> mozilla build system, I think it's possible to build both
> mozilla-browser and mozilla-firebird from the same source.  Doing so
> would reduce the large amount of duplicated files that are contained in
> both mozilla and firebird.
>
> I intended to look into this last weekend, but cvs.mozilla.org and
> cvs-mirror.m.o were unreachable for me for the entire weekend.

I did consider this, but since mozilla and firebird are not developed
in parallel, they are released at different times, with different
snapshots of the source tree. So if I tried to build it out of the
mozilla source tree it would end up being either too old or too new or
broken. It might be possible to build it out of the mozilla-snapshot
packages, but only really -snapshot packages, not real releases.

--
Eric Dorland <eric.dorland@mail.mcgill.ca>
ICQ: #61138586, Jabber: hooty@jabber.com