Re: Constitutional amendment: Condorcet/Clone Proof SSD vote tallying

On Wed, 21 May 2003 21:57:13 +1200, Nick Phillips <nwp@nz.lemon-computing.com> said:

> On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 07:27:21PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
>> Here, the vote(s) for B caused A to win.
>>
>> Other examples are possible (for example: 19 ABD, 1 BDA).

>> > i fail to see that argument.
>>
>> See above.

> I don't believe that it's acceptable for an otherwise beaten option
> to win due the the otherwise winning option being discarded due to a
> quorum requirement, as John suggests might happen.

	Quite. But Johns amendment does not solve this, really -- all
 he does is remove all per item quorum requirements, which is likle
 throwing out the baby with the bath water.

> I also don't believe that it's acceptable to break the Monotonicity
> Criterion.

	I am glad we agree.

> If a winning option would be discarded due to quorum requirements,
> then I think the vote should probably be considered void.

	I tend to agree. If someone would write up an amendment which
 encapsulates this, without getting rid of the concept of per item
 quorum needs, I would accept that in the GR.

	Aj, if you could write up something about the minor flaws you
 see (including renaming the RATIONALE to something saner), I would
 consider that too.

	I am away from home, and my keyring, and can only snatch short
 periods of connectivity to the net, so I would appreciate it if
 someone took the lead in writing up these modification (or wait until
 I get back home on the weekend).

	manoj
--
A friend of mine won't get a divorce, because he hates lawyers more
than he hates his wife.