Re: Looking for help of automake experts (Bug #190231)

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 02:42:35PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:

 > ) which did not solved the problem which was couased only on MIPS but
 > added new trouble for (probably) all architectures.  I'm no automake
 > expert and I *really* do not know what to do here.

 Looking at the bug report, you say:

 > If I use the aclocal.m4 provided by upstream author:
 >
 >   bash-2.05b$ autoreconf --force -v
 >   autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
 >   autoreconf: configure.in: not using Gettext
 >   autoreconf: running: aclocal  --output=aclocal.m4t
 >   Can't exec "aclocal": No such file or directory at /usr/share/autoconf/Autom4te/General.pm line 498.
 >   autoreconf: aclocal failed with exit status: 255
 >
 > I can't understand this error because
 >   bash-2.05b$ ll /usr/share/autoconf/Autom4te/General.pm
 >   -rw-r--r--    1 root     0           11147 Apr 20 22:49 /usr/share/autoconf/Autom4te/General.pm

 what's missing is "aclocal", not Autom4te::General.

 >   autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoconf --force
 >   configure.in:19: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_CONFIG_HEADER
 >         If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
 >         See the Autoconf documentation.
 >   configure.in:36: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
 >   configure.in:52: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_MAINTAINER_MODE

 Since you did not run aclocal, you are still missing the automake
 macros.

 > I'm in vain now because I really do not know enough about autoconf to
 > fix this.

 You have really nice docs at your fingertips: info automake.

 In short: figure out why you don't have aclocal (which is part of
 automake1.x) (hint: you have aclocal-1.7)

 Marcelo