Re: Where are translated man pages packaged?

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 11:24:14AM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> There is currently no consensus whether translated man pages should
> be shipped along with original man pages or within manpages-xx packages.
> Unfortunately this leads to conflicts when a translation is first
> shipped by the latter, then incorporated into the former (e.g. when
> it becomes part of upstream tarball).
>
> Some developers are reluctant to include French translated man pages and
> ask me to ship them in manpages-fr.  How can I make them change their
> mind?  Is there a consensus that translated man pages must go with
> original man pages?  Are exceptions needed for some packages?

I think it is proper to include translated man pages with original man
pages, and to use apt-localepurge (now) or dpkg exclusions (when they're
implemented) if people are worried about space. My gut feeling is that
the manpages-LL packages should cover roughly the same topics as the
English manpages package.

My experience has been that refusing to include translated man pages
makes it much harder to tell when the man pages have got out of date.
However, I'm not sure how to go about persuading reluctant developers of
this.