Re: new locale: de-utf?

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 05:36:40PM +0200, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:

> Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> >Since this thread seems to have gotten the attention of folks who would
> >know, could someone tell me how to deal with #180823?
>
> What is apt_listchanges trying to do here? It appears that it somehow
> wants to find a Japanese codec, because it has somewhere seen the
> encoding EUC-JP. There is a JapaneseCodecs package out there for Python;
> if that was installed, it would have found the japanese codec.

I thought I had explained in the bug, but I guess it was in the other
(merged) bug.

I need to send an email whose subject contains a translated string which
comes from gettext.  In order for it to be properly encoded, I need to
specify what character set is in use.

If there is a better way to do this, please let me know.  The current
approach is to assume that the string returned by gettext is encoded in the
character set specified by the locale, but it looks like this is not
necessarily valid, or else I have misunderstood the problem.

> You should file a Python bug: While the UnicodeError is intentional and
> indicates bogus input data, the LookupError is not. If no codec is found,
> Header.py should just assume that the byte string is in the declared
> encoding.

Wasn't the declared coding UTF-8 in this case?  Is this a bug?

--
 - mdz