Re: Emacs - Ispell problem with i[no]german dictionary

Andreas Tille wrote:
I have sometimes seen them when in
the ispell.el string for a language there is something different than
latin1 as coding system. Seems that in that case a strange type of
conversion is sometimes intended while when latin1 is set the strings
are passed to ispell unchanged.

How to set this or rather ho make this default?

If you made no changes to the autogenerated /var/cache/dictionaries-common/emacsen-ispell-dicts.el, that should already be the default for german. (I meant as coding system what ispell.el understands as coding-system, the iso-8859-1 entry at german-old8 in that file). I found problems when iso-8859-2 was used there, but since I did not test that in a fully latin2 system I just let upstream know about that, but not suggested further changes in the dictionaries unless more problems with those latin2 entries were found. I however found no problems with iso-8859-1 entry there even if the text encoding is a diferent one.

Have you emacsen entries for ispell in your ~/.emacs file?

Once I copied the following lines from anywhere:

   (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'flyspell-mode)
   (setq ispell-dictionary "german-old8")

   (defun turn-on-flyspell-mode()
     (flyspell-mode t)
   )
   (add-hook 'latex-mode-hook 'turn-on-flyspell-mode)
   (add-hook 'tex-mode-hook 'turn-on-flyspell-mode)
   (add-hook 'html-mode-hook 'turn-on-flyspell-mode)

All them seem harmless with respect to this. I have no ispell specific entries in my ~/.emacs, but after copying yours I still see no problem

Moreover there is the unchanged

   /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50dictionaries-common.el

on my box which is part of the dictionaries-common package.  If the problem
does not happen on your box I would be interested in rent settings which are
different to my box.

Does the autogenerated file /var/cache/dictionaries-common/emacsen-ispell-dicts.el seem to have something strange in it?

Also, it might worth contacting i{o,n}german maintainer, Roland Rosenfeld, to have some aditional check on this.

Anybody else has found this problem?

Cheers,
--
Agustin