Re: Questions regarding utf-8

Le vendredi  9 mai 2003, Sebastian Rittau écrit :
> On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 07:50:50PM -0400, Bob Hilliard wrote:
> >      2.  What is the best available filter to convert from encoding X
> >          to 7 bit ASCII?
>
> iconv is the generic libc-based converter:
>
>   iconv --from=SRC-ENCODING --to=DST-ENCODING SRC-FILE >DST-FILE
no, according to what I've tested (I'm trying to turn around this
conversion trouble for the ddts), iconv is a bijective function, it
cannot convert if some characters don't exist in the destination
encoding.

one solution is using recode, but it is not surjective so you cannot
compare result strings easily.

Nicolas