Debian font howto / policy ?

Hello!

Where can I find document about how fonts are handled in debian?

Document should give answers to the following questions:

	- Where are the fonts in my harddrive / where should I
	  place new fonts?
	- How can I install new fonts ?
	- What configuration files should I modify when I add fonts ?
	- Core X-fonts vs. Fontconfig vs. ps-fonts etc
	- Defoma?
	- Gtk 1.x vs. Gtk2 vs. QT
	- OpenOffice? abiword?

Redhat seems to have this kind of document about fonts:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/ref-guide/s1-x-fonts.html

I have been searching for a similar document for Debian, but so far I have
not found it ..

If we are missing such a document, I think it would be good thing to add it to
the Debian Desktop Project.

(and yes, I don't have personally any problems adding fonts to Debian, but
it would be nice to know how things have been planned to be).

-- Pasi Kärkkäinen

                                   ^
                                .     .
                                 Linux