Re: Non-free mrouted

On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 01:00:02PM +0800, Isaac To wrote:
> Does anyone know why mrouted is termed as non-free?  I've read over the
> whole copyright file, and it isn't clear why the software is put in
> non-free, even though other distributions do not carry it either and I
> assume that the categorization is correct.

(This would be more appropriate on debian-legal)

I suspect it's this sentence:

  At the time LICENSEE provides a copy of a derivative version of the
  Program to a third party, LICENSEE shall provide STANFORD with one
  copy of the source code of the derivative version at no charge to STANFORD.

This clause has three consequences that kick in as soon as people try
to use modified versions instead of the original version from STANFORD:
  1. Distribution of the program requires having a net connection,
     or paying for some kind of mail or shipping to STANFORD.
  2. Distribution of the program must cease if STANFORD no longer exists
     or is not reachable.
  3. STANFORD is going to be mailbombed, because it requires a copy for
     every time the program is distributed :-)
These consequences depend somewhat on the interpretation of "provide",
but Debian doesn't like to guess about such things.

STANFORD might not be aware of these consequences of their clause.
If you care about the package, you might be able to get them to change
it a bit.  Please consult debian-legal if you take this course.

Richard Braakman