Re: RFA: sbuild -- Tool for building Debian binary packages from Debian sources

Rick Younie <rick@def.debian.net> writes:

> Package: wnpp
> Version: unavailable; reported 2003-04-28
> Severity: normal
>
> I request an adopter for the sbuild package.

[...]

> The adopter should be a developer to check out the sbuilds on
> the various buildd machines for improvements (they all vary a
> bit) and should have decent bandwidth to fix the chroot building.
> There are a debootstrap scripts for that at
>   http://buildd.debian.org/buildd.chroot (for woody)
>   http://buildd.debian.org/buildd.chroot.sarge (for sarge and sid)
>
> It's probably time to make sbuild strictly a user tool and forget
> about compatibility with buildd as it's too much of a headache.
> Only a couple of us were using it with buildd anyhow.

I agree with that, though there's no reason why buildd can't be made
more intelligent, so sbuild doesn't need to care about
buildd/wanna-build.

If there are no better qualified volunteers, I'm willing to take over
sbuild.  Does Francesco Paolo Love no longer want to do it?

I have started on a rewrite in C++, though it's still in the early
stages.  What I need most is a clear explaation of how to calculate
the build dependencies/conflicts--I've not got my head around all that
Perl yet!  This includes merging central src deps.  In it's current
(Perl) state, I don't feel I could do a good job--it needs rewriting
(with more comments!!) in a language that will allow better
maintenance.

Regards,
Roger

--
Roger Leigh

                GPG Public Key: 0x25BFB848 available on public keyservers