Re: RFA: sbuild -- Tool for building Debian binary packages from Debian sources

Rick Younie <rick@def.debian.net> writes:

> Package: wnpp
> Version: unavailable; reported 2003-04-28
> Severity: normal
> I request an adopter for the sbuild package.

> The adopter should be a developer to check out the sbuilds on
> the various buildd machines for improvements (they all vary a
> bit) and should have decent bandwidth to fix the chroot building.
> There are a debootstrap scripts for that at
>   http://buildd.debian.org/buildd.chroot (for woody)
>   http://buildd.debian.org/buildd.chroot.sarge (for sarge and sid)
> It's probably time to make sbuild strictly a user tool and forget
> about compatibility with buildd as it's too much of a headache.
> Only a couple of us were using it with buildd anyhow.

I agree with that, though there's no reason why buildd can't be made
more intelligent, so sbuild doesn't need to care about

If there are no better qualified volunteers, I'm willing to take over
sbuild.  Does Francesco Paolo Love no longer want to do it?

I have started on a rewrite in C++, though it's still in the early
stages.  What I need most is a clear explaation of how to calculate
the build dependencies/conflicts--I've not got my head around all that
Perl yet!  This includes merging central src deps.  In it's current
(Perl) state, I don't feel I could do a good job--it needs rewriting
(with more comments!!) in a language that will allow better

Roger Leigh

                GPG Public Key: 0x25BFB848 available on public keyservers