Re: Root can't run X programs

Cameron Hutchison wrote:

The next bit of juju is to set the environment variable XAUTHORITY to
~<user>/.Xauthority, where <user> is the user that started the xserver.

This is great. What about taking it to the next level? What I mean is that I had been thinking about actually extracting the cookie from the server's auth file and sticking it in root's .Xauthority file for good (this is what Red Hat does), but I wasn't sure if the auth file changed on Debian. Unforunately, after checking, it seems like the auth file does change on every start of the X server. I see that /etc/kde2/kdm/Xservers has a line to start the X server, but in a `ps -ef' listing, I see an additional "-auth" option. How does this get to be a part of the command?

dk