Re: plagiarism of reiserfs by Debian

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 04:59:59PM +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
> For example, at least two people called Hans a troll.  An upstream author
> expressing concern about the way their code is packaged is not trolling
> (i.e. making random arguments just to provoke flames.)

He went from accusing Debian of plagiarism (a severe accusation made with no
backing) to to making statements about the GFDL issue in the same thread,
with no apparent segue.  This post is the one that I'd call trolling:

"As far as I am concerned, I have no desire to have ReiserFS distributed
 for free by anyone who removes the GNU manifesto or similar expressions
 from Stallman's work (or my own) and redistributes it.  It is simply a
 matter of respect that is due the author."

It goes without saying that Debian has not and has no intention of removing
the GNU Manifesto from GNU manuals.  He's just provoking argument, and
that's what "trolling" means.

Note also that he seems to be making no effort to resolve the issue he
raised.

> I'm glad to see people are trying to find a compromise.  I'm sure one is
> possible with some goodwill.

I havn't seen evidence that Hans cares to find a compromise.  If he and
the package maintainer have taken this off the list, then one or the
other needs to say so; as is, I just see a large flamewar that has no
chance of resolving anything, due to it having no focus and far too many
unanswered questions.

--
Glenn Maynard