Re: Debian for x86-64 (AMD Opteron)

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 21:18, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Why don't we consider the x86-64 as beeing a 64-bits-only architecture

Because we want to run Netscape, commercial games, Frauhofer MP3 en/decoders,
Oracle, and other binary-only i386 software.

If AMD had made a 64bit only CPU and devoted those extra transistors to cache
it would have improved performance for 64bit code.  After paying the
performance penalty of a 32bit ISA it makes sense to take advantage of it.