Re: plagiarism of reiserfs by Debian

On Sat, Apr 19, 2003 at 08:07:03PM +0400, Hans Reiser wrote:
> Please explain your reasons for removing the credits and attributions
> from the reiserfs utilities in violation of our copyright.
>
> You'll note that ReiserFS anticipated the GNU GPL V3 by including
> clauses that forbid removal of credits in its license, and for a long
> time I have been telling Stallman that he needs to get V3 of the GPL out
> the door.
>
> By the way, does Debian support as a matter of principle the decrediting
> of Stallman and KDE by RedHat?  I had really expected this from RedHat,
> not Debian, when I wrote those clauses.
>
> In the academic world, this is called plagiarism.  In the academic
> world, knowledge is shared but fairly credited.  The GPL is born of the
> academic tradition.

I'd hardly call it plagiarism. Your copyright is, by will of our own
policy and to abide by authors wishes, distributed with the tools in
/usr/share/doc/<pkg>/copyright.

Now, I've never heard of such a copyright clause in your tools and I am
quite sure that the individual maintainer of the package did not
intentionally go against such clauses. Not to mention that the acts of
that single maintainer of the software you wrote is not the will of the
entire Debian project.

Now I hope you stop with your trolling and consider speaking
respectfully to us. I am pretty sure that if you emailed the maintainer
of the package and pointed out the facts to him, he would revert the
change.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/