Re: New virtual package: festival-voice (bug#112565)

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, Matthias Urlichs wrote:

> The festival speech syntesizer needs at least one voice file. I'd like to
> use a virtual package named "festival-voice" so that people cannot install
> it without one, which is a problem (see the above bug).
>
> Policy requires discussing new virtual packages on d-d...

Unless the virtual package is only to be used amongst a group of
cooperating packages (Policy section 2.3.5).  I think this would qualify.

At any rate, even if you want/need discussion on d-d, I think it's a good
idea, if multiple packages are capable of providing the necessary data.  If
multiple packages containing the data can be installed, though, you will of
course need to use the alternatives system to manage which one gets used.

#include <disclaimer.h>
Matthew Palmer, Geek In Residence
http://ieee.uow.edu.au/~mjp16